Life of Pi Trailer

One of my all time favourite books, Life of Pi by Yann Martel is now a movie directed by Ang Li. I had no idea they had plans for a movie version. Not sure how I feel about it looking at the trailer. I know they will alter it from the book, these things are necessary but how will they alter it. In the book there is no friendship between Richard Parker (tiger) and Pi. An uneasy respect and mutual dependency, yes. But that's it. In theaters November 21, 2012

If you had the chance would you read the book or see the movie first? Why?

6 comments:

Angie said...

Having read the book and now, viewed the trailer, I think I will forgo the movie, because I don't like the direction they seem to be going.

Frimmy said...

I'm leaning the same way. I probably will see it but I will view it as an unrelated movie.

Frimmy said...

Also I said Pi and Richard Parker were mutually dependent but that's not right. RP needed Pi far more than Pi needed him.

Angie said...

They were dependent in a way that was somewhat equal, but not mutual, if that makes sense. RP needed Pi to feed him, but Pi needed RP not to eat him. Both had power and both were weak.

Anonymous said...

I would always prefer to read the book before seeing the movie. Movies never capture the inner dialogue etc. that a book does. Book is always better. I have not read this. I think I will. Thanks for the tip.

Ann

Frimmy said...

It's an interesting read and on its face seems religious but Pi really wants to please god so he embarks on a project to learn about all the gods and tries to make them happy. So he's a Muslim Christian Hindu.

There's a lot of zoological information that I found interesting and a twist at the end that implies a lot of the experiences Pi recounts are allegorical. But he doesn't tell us for sure.

Let me know what you think.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.