Keira Rathbone - Typewriter Artist



Typewriter artist brought to me the idea that maybe she artfully decorates typewriters. It could happen. Some people artfully decorate kitchen mixers. But no, she uses a typewriter to create her very cool portraits. Sometimes of people, sometimes of landmarks or objects. Sometimes I think I can even see actual words incorporated into the 'drawing'. Like the grammaphone for example.

Keira Rathbone at work

What's interesting about art using a typewriter is she appears to be very mobile. She doesn't need anything more than one of her cute-as-a-bug's-ear vintage outfits, typewriters and paper. Maybe an electrical source as well. I've found several photos of Keira and in each one she appears to be at an antique shop or other venues where she can display her works and the way she she creates them.



Rathbone with her collection of vintage typewriters 



Detail 1 of above

Detail 2 of above

Keira is 27 and is living and working in London, England. She was trained as a jeweller but moved over to typewriters around 2005. She originally bought the typewriter to write but when nothing inspired her to put words down on paper, she started putting images down instead. Typewriter art has been around since the 1940's but she's taken it to a much higher plane.









Keira Rathbone's facebook page here

Keira Rathbone's website here

6 comments:

Tonya said...

Oh man, I wish I could do that. That's got to be the coolest thing in the entire world.

Frimmy said...

There are SO many talented people out there. It's very humbling.

Anonymous said...

a) how cute is she?

b) very impressive.

Ann

Noelle said...

Amazing!

Angie said...

People like this make me feel a little boring. There is so much talent out there and I wasn't graced with any of it. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with being the grateful observer :)

Frimmy said...

I wasn't either. I can only admire it and be awed.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.