Judith Braun's Gestural Vocaburalizations

Judith Braun - finger painter

She seems to be kind of a cute person, eh?

So I have had this post as a draft for some time. Then I updated it and finished it to my satisfaction. Then blogger ate it. So I'm trying again with the idea that sometimes you churn out something better when you're forced to do it over.

Judith Braun's work is interesting and finger painting isn't the only thing she has done, but I'd rather not immerse myself in her explanations of what she has done and why because, I don't know, it's a little too cerebral or pretentious or other words used to convey the meaning that it's over my head. Here's her website, you tell me. 

For example, here's what she said about "fingerings" (because calling it finger painting is what...? Too banal?):
"Fingerings"  continue my use of carbon medium by dipping my fingers in charcoal to draw directly on the wall, sometimes with both hands simultaneously to the extent of arms' reach. This allows the inherent symmetry of the body to generate a gestural vocabulary of mark making.
OK sure! None of her words were flagged by my spellchecker so maybe she has a point. My sisters and I are often told we have a great gestural vocabulary due our flailing about and marking our conversations with the need to act out what we are talking about. I don't know why we do this but it makes for the occasional spilled beverage and often a captivated audience if only to see where the train wreck will end. It's one of our many charms.

This person created the portrait below of one of his blogger friends, Reyna, because she also is cursed with the need to express herself via gestural vocaburalizations.<--a word which was flagged by spellchecker

Caricature by Joey Majdali

Bad bangs, bare feet, animated face and gestures involving the entire body, this caricature of Reyna could very well be me or one of my sisters. [The Lad is nodding and smiling as he reads this over my shoulder. He tells me it shows The Sisters are a lot of fun as far as he's concerned. Oo! Menchies for him!]

So I believe I started out talking about art somewhere up there. Judith does do some very cool pieces when all is said and done.  Here are some pictures.

This is an abstract gestural vocaburalizaion

The following is a mural on display at the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk, Virginia, where it will remain until July 1, 2012. So hurry up and check it out before the janitorial staff get take their spritzer bottles and paper towels to the fingerprints on this wall.

View from left side


View from right side


Right detail


Entire mural as best as can be shown


Centre detail

Working one handed at 50% reduced gestural vocaburalization

0 comments:

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.